The North Coast Ecology Centre Society is looking for committed and enthusiastic individuals
to join our board! Be part of this exciting project in Prince Rupert!
Position: Board Member (Member at Large)
Type: Board of Directors position / unpaid
Number of positions available: 2
Location: British Columbia, Canada (preference for locals in Prince Rupert or the greater
Northwest, but not a requirement)
The North Coast Ecology Centre Society is committed to improving diversity, equity, and inclusion within
our organization and all aspects of our work. We welcome applications from individuals who self-identify
as members of underrepresented and underserved groups.
About the North Coast Ecology Centre Society (NCECS)
The NCECS was established in 2018 with the goal of creating a permanent education centre in
Prince Rupert that highlights the region’s ecological richness. In 2023, we opened Phase 1 of
the Ecology Centre in a converted shipping container at the Lax Süülda Container Market at the
waterfront in Prince Rupert. The Centre provides education to residents and visitors alike
through engaging exhibits and programs on terrestrial and marine species, habitats and
conservation. Outside of the centre, the society hosts educational special events and programs.
This has includes a microplastic study, the Coastal Conversations Speaker Series (2020-2022),
Pop-Up Ecology Centre (2021), Live Dive School Program (2021), and the North Coast Whale
Festival (2018, 2019).
About the Position
Board Member Responsibilities:
● Provide leadership to the NCECS and help to set our strategic direction
● Provide governance and ensure NCECS and its board adhere to by-laws
● Contribute actively to the planning and execution of building an Ecology Centre
● Contribute actively in the planning and execution of other educational programs and
● Attend and participate in monthly board meetings (may be done remotely)
● Participate in fundraising initiatives, including grant writing, activities, and sponsorship
● Help to spread the word about our organization and our work
● Assist the organization in attracting the expertise, funding and resources needed for the
NCECS to better achieve its goals
The NCECS is particularly in need of candidates with the following skills and expertise:
● Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Decolonization
● Business Planning and Development
● Governance and Charitable Law
● Marketing, Communications and PR
● The NCECS is a working board and members are needed to participate fulsomely. This
often amounts to approximately 5-10 hours a month, but may be considerably more
when large scale projects are underway.
● A two-year term commitment is requested of all Board Members.
How to Apply :
Please send a resume and cover letter outlining your interest in the role by October 27, 2023 to